Thursday 8 September 2011

Storing Rubbish Bags

I feel like I blog about rubbish an awful lot!  But rubbish just seems to breed in my house, and by having routines and systems in place, it helps to keep on top of it...  My 'I Love Rubbish Day' post (which you can read about here) is in the top 10 of my most-read posts - that tells me that it is a fact of daily life and everyone wants to know how to make it easier :)

My tip today is to make sure that you keep spare rubbish bags in the rooms of the 'busiest' bins.  I have already shown you my kitchen storage solution for my scented garbage bags (which you can read about here).

My bathroom is definitely next on the list for the room with the most rubbish.  I only have a small bin in my ensuite, so I find I have to change the rubbish liner at least once a week.  Like with any routine job, we tend to procrastinate doing it if it involves multiple steps.  For me, this used to involve (1) getting a replacement bag (recycled fruit/veg bag) from the kitchen, (2) walking to the ensuite, (3) taking out the old bag, (4) putting in the new bag and (5) walking outside to the wheelie bin to dump the full bag of rubbish.  Too many steps!  Life is busy and we need to simplify!  So, I now keep the spare bags in the ensuite cupboard - seems really logical, but I just didn't think to do it until this year ;)  By eliminating the first 2 steps, the job now takes half the time - around 30 seconds in total!!  And the best part is that I can do it when I think of it... I lost count of the number of times I walked out to get a new bag from the kitchen, got distracted and never made it back with the replacement bag!  Not anymore...

And the storage solution for these bags (that can take over an entire shelf if left to their own devices)??
An empty tissue box!



There are so many lovely designs out these days, it makes it so hard to choose when you are shopping!  Simply stuff as many bags as you can in through the hole at the top of the box, and then pull one out each time you need to re-line the bin.

The box sits neatly on the shelf in the cupboard (or it could even sit out on the bench if you prefer), looks pretty and serves the wonderful purpose of storing spare rubbish bags for when chore-time comes.  Plus it is free and environmentally friendly!


Let me know if you have any other great ideas for storing rubbish bags...

1 comments:

Margaret said...

I like to leave a few bags at the bottom of the bin before putting on the new bag, this is a new habit and I love it...

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...